Today I provide you with another tool for Dynamics AX developers. It is a modified version of the SysTableBrowser (See picture 1).
- The table browser does not change its position when a different setup is selected. (Unlike standard system behavior in DAX 4.0)
- The AutoReport option was extended, and now you are able to select any of the table field groups (See Credits).
- Another selection option was added, providing the means to select any of the table fields to be shown in the grid. To do this, just press the ‘Select Fields’ button and select the fields you want displayed (See picture 2).
- Added a list of presets for the SQL window. (SELECT, UPDATE, DELETE). The list can be easily extended to include other presets you often use.
- Extra logic was added to the ExecuteSQL button, which executes the SQL string that the user has put into the SQL window. If it is a simple select (for example, generated by the SELECT preset), the ds query is executed instead of the sql string. This will bring back the sorting and filtering options that disappear after using the sql string query.
- Added the ability to sort columns by name or by id. In some cases (when, for example, you cannot find a specific field) it really helps out! (See picture 3)
Possible future improvements:
- Add display methods of the selected table to the list of fields in the select dialog.
The modification was inspired by a similar one performed by Nicolai Hillstrom for Dynamics AX 3.0. I moved it to DAX 4.0 and added some extra features I considered useful. One of them is implemented here (even thought I wasn’t able to download it and see how it is programmed).